I recently purchased a “low power ultrabook” at a big box retailer for aobut $300. This Asus model is windows 8 touch screen laptop but instead of the i3, it has a 1.5GHz Celeron processor. I was considering dual-booting it with Lubuntu/Sawfish, but after this research I will probably buy the Linux version. Either way, I need to learn a lot more about UEFI Secure Boot.
Yes, your ASUS Laptop will work with Ubuntu. I think the touchscreen will work since this video on YouTube shows a ASUS Vivobook with Ubuntu 12.10 with the touchscreen in action. If you have a Vivobook or something similar, more than likely it will work. You can dual boot if you want. Keep in mind that your ASUS laptop came with Windows 8, which means it may come with a security feature called "UEFI Secure Boot" or "Secure Boot" for short. You will need to disable "Secure Boot" in order to get the laptop to boot from removable media, like CD's, DVD's and USB Drives.
- From http://www.linuxine.com/story/installing-ubuntu-asus-q200e-bhi3t45
- Althought not all about the Q200E, I appreciate this advice about the recovery disks and the UEFI Boot issue.
Before doing *anything* to your new Asus G75VW notebook, REMEMBER TO LOG IN TO YOU WINDOWS INSTALL AND CREATE A RECOVERY DISK. You will NOT be able to run the Recovery software after modifying the bootloader. (I tried setting up dual-booting, and found this out the hard way. If anyone could be so kind as to make a recovery disk for me, I'd appreciate it...
Linux Version of this Laptop
- After I bought this laptop and started looking at information about dual-booting it, I found out Asus was offering a linux version.
- The F201E has been available since last fall
- Another article from 2013-03 about availability in the US.
- Here’s a youtube video that appears to have a tear-down.
- As of 2013.08.25, selling for $340.00 on amazon
- It might make more sense to just buy the X201E with ubuntu pre-installed, since the hard drive on the Q200E I bought is only about 300GB.
Can’t wait to try this on my new Chromebook